February 4, 2008

Tested pixels

I just ordered a new camera for personal use. It'll be my first SLR. Most cameras I've held, either in the office or at home, I have pointed to this chart to test the camera:


You can get the original from Stephen Westin in pdf here. Simply printing it on any decent laser printer does a pretty good job. If you have an A3 printer, even better. It's interesting to see that most of today's camera phones don't even do a low-pass filter before subsampling on the viewfinder, causing bad aliasing. There's still lots of room for improvement!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which (d)SLR did you buy? And how is the result with your camera?

Marco Jacobs said...

I bought a Pentax K100D Super. I didn't think about it for very long, but I liked the price, image stabilization feature, and good kit lens. I haven't actually received the camera yet, since I bought it online. I will let you know the results later. I am hoping this camera will last me longer than the point and shoot cameras I've had in the past.